Adhesion Reduction of Semiconductor Dicing Tape
Many semiconductor wafer processing techniques involve the fixing of a thin layer of dicing tape to a wafer during the final stages of processing. Using a
pressure-sensitive adhesive, dicing tape holds individual die in place as the wafer is scribed or cut. To allow removal of the die from the tape and tape frame,
the adhesion properties of the tape must be reduced with either chemical solvents, or more commonly, with exposure to high-intensity UV light.
Click below to start your download.
» Wafer Adhesion Reduction Application Note
In many manufacturing operations, UV light for the adhesion reduction process is produced by UV arc lamp systems. However, these arc lamp systems introduce high
electrical and maintenance costs as well as potential heat damage to sensitive parts. In contrast, UV LED systems deliver high efficiency, low temperature light for
increased yields with lower cost of operation as an alternative to arc-lamps for removal of dicing tape.
Because of their high reliability, long lifetime, reduced maintenance and lower overall cost of operation, UV LED systems are already widely deployed in manufacturing
processes in the microelectronics, optics, and medical device industries. OmniCure® AC Series UV LED systems are offered in a wide range of sizes and configurations,
with customized front-end optics to accommodate various manufacturing needs and offer ozone-free production of high-intensity UV light from long-life UV LED optical
Learn more about the advantages of using OmniCure AC Series UV LED systems for adhesion reducing adhesion of semi-conductor wafer tape.
The OmniCure AC8 Series UV LED systems offer many benefits for reducing adhesion of dicing tape in semiconductor wafer processing that lead to lower costs and downtime
and increased profitability. These benefits include:
- Improved product yields. The narrow spectrum of the LEDs centred at 365nm are absorbed by the tape and not the wafers for reduced heating and improved yields in the de-taping process. The absence of UVC energy eliminates production of ozone between the wafer and tape resulting in improved adhesion reduction and lowered incidences of die damage during die removal.
- Reduced electrical costs. The inherent efficiency of UV LED systems result in reduced electricity costs of more than 30% depending on the application.
- Reduced installation costs. No venting or scrubbing of UV induced ozone exhaust is required.
- Higher manufacturing up-time. UV LED systems have operational life times more than twice that of lamp-based systems, resulting in increased manufacturing up time.
- Simplified environmental qualification. Because it does not produce ozone, the OmniCure AC8 Series UV LED curing system simplifies qualification for the stringent EN 14001 standard for manufacturing facilities.
- Ease of installation. The OmniCure AC8 Series UV LED system can easily be installed in existing wafer processing stations and are compatible with existing manufacturing processes.